Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Craft-tastic!!!

Yesterday, I decided to make some shorts for my son. He is outgrowing everything so quickly. I have a really good pattern for shorts, with a zipper but I didn't have the back panel-don't know where it went to!
Then I remembered when the boys were wee ones, I had a very simple pattern that makes a left and right panel. I have figured out how to do this after much forgotten experience. The really exciting part is that I made these shorts-pattern free, out of a 2XL t-shirt........
Let me explain, I hate to throw out anything. My Mom brought over some clothes for this season, slightly used, still wearable. No shorts! So I made them out of some of the T-shirts.
--Lay the t-shirt flat, You have to have a front crotch and a back crotch. Starting with cutting under one sleeve make a narrow J cut(front), removing the sleeve. Do the same on the other sleeve only make a much deeper J cut(back), removing the other sleeve. Making sure that the length of the legs match with the cut for the crotch.(bottom half of the t is the legs. Cut across the top removing the neck and shoulders of the T-shirt.Cut evenly along the sides of the Tshirt making a right and a left leg. Matching right sides together, sew a seam matching front crotch, then sew a seam matching back crotch- you will then have a tube. Match up the seam for the front and back crotches and sew the leg seams,if you save the original hem of the t-shirt you will not have to hem the legs.
Add elastic in the top, in what ever manner suits you, and Ta-Da!!
You will have a pair of shorts that my son calls Craft-tastic!!!!
If this dosen't make sense to you.. try it, you will see!

1 comment:

N. Maria said...

Clever way of making some great shorts!!
I have transformed over-sized t-shirts from a book "Generation T" I checked out of the library. Great ideas!!